Google

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Tomorrow is the day!

It's finally here! I fly out of MBS airport tomorrow at 3:30pm and arrive in DC at the Ronald Reagon Airport at 7:00pm sharp. I have a layover in Detroit but it shouldn't be too bad. I'm not worried.

I'm living with my friend Rory, he graduated last year and also works the PTO, and he's meeting me at the airport. He only has a little studio apartment so it's going to be cramped, however, we'll make due. We're going to start looking for a new house immediately as our other friend Jon moves down 4 weeks after I do to start the same job. We'll all be working and living together! I have high hopes that all goes well.

Work is actually located in Alexandria, VA and not DC proper. Fine by me, I here Alexandria is very nice and beautiful. We're looking for houses in the Alexandria area as opposed to in DC. Should make the commute shorter and it'll be a lot safer and cheaper. Cheap is good...not that we're not making money, but I'd rather not spend over $1000/month for rent (that's per person.) Regardless, I have absolutely no idea until I actually get there and look around and learn the area. I start May 30 and I'm actually kind of excited. I'm normally adverse to any kind of work, but the pay is well and that's a good motivator. Plus doing something physics related, and using this degree I spent $40,000 on will make work much more enjoyable (I hope.) Lastly, if I hate it, hunger is another great motivator. I'm sure I'll love it though.

Work has more benefits than pay, insurance, and vacation time. For those of you that don't know yet, they'll pay for graduate studies and/or law school after two years of work. This means I can go back to school, get a law degree and then work in patent law and never switch companies! Who knows? Maybe I'll put in my 25 years and retire from my first entry level position out of college. That'd be something, that's for sure.

I'm packing two suitcases of clothes and shoes and shipping my PC tomorrow morning before I go. I'm leaving most of my things here but I plan on UHAULing them out to DC once my other buddies start moving out. Living light until then, but I dont' mind.

Rory and I are going to be good for each other. We're going to help each other get into shape, develop better sleep and work habits. He needs to cut down on the thicker beers and I need to cut down on soda...badly. I think that's where most of my newly gained weight came from...or maybe it was the eatting fast food almost everyday because my roommates were so messy our kitchen was a biohazard...I'm looking forward to getting into shape, it's been years since i've been adequately active on a day to day basis and I miss the way it makes me feel.

Leaving isn't all fun and games either...I'm sure going to miss grandpa and mom and amanda. Amanda is still in Africa for the time being but will be back June 8th, I'm really looking forward to that. I'm going to fly her out to DC for a while, I hope, assuming she can take even more time off work herself. I can't leave for any amount of time since I go through 8 months of training, I think they only let us take vacation during certain times, but I'll find out more next tuesday during my orientation.

I had better cut this short (not that it isn't too long already) as I have more packing to do and it's already 12:30am. I imagine 10:00am, when mom is waking me up, will come too soon. Adios amigos, my next post will be from DC!

JMB

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home