Google

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Arrived in DC, safe and sound

I'm sitting here at Rory's at about 1:00am. We're watching TV and just hanging out, it's going great so far. I can tell already that Rory and I will get along great. My flight was uneventful and quick. The flight from Detroit to DC is roughly one hour six minutes. In no time I was on the ground in my new home town. We came home and had a couple India Pale Ales, I unpacked a little bit then we went out to a Falafel restaurant for dinner. Rory treated me as a welcome to the city and it was delicious! I loved Falafel already but I already have a little favorite restaurant. It was pretty cool, I can tell the night life is going to be fun here. It's a Wednesday night and this certain area of town called Adam's Morgan which from what I can tell is just one section of a street was absolutely full of people! All the bars were full with tons of laughing and good times inside. One "Metal Bar" had a cool band playing that we could see while walking by. The food was great, the area is super nice, and I fell in love instantly.

There are lots of things that are different, some obvious, some I wasn't expecting. The people here are quite "cold" and actually resemble stereotypical New Yorkers. On the same hand, but other side, some are quite friendly and personable. The couple in front of us at the restaurant asked us all about it because they'd never had Falafel...but we set them straight and they appeared to enjoy their meal. The cost of living is obviously higher, I was aware of this. For two wraps, two sodas and one large Frites (French Fries) it cost $23, including a tip. Wow...luckily I'm making the big bucks.

Rory and I talked for hours already and laughed and joked and remembered the old days and the new days to come. It's going to be great. I'll post pictures of the area and apartment where I live tomorrow if I think of it...maybe a few pictures of me at a museum or white house or something. Rory said he won't be back from work until about 7:00pm so I'll have all day to myself. He left his camera out for me and we paid to get a second key..I'll get it tomorrow morning. It cost me $50 because they switched to some new high tech method of entry. The doors are always locked but this little knob that you carry on your keys detects that you live in the building and unlocks the doors as you approach, or as you swipe it. Cool, secure, but an extra cost I don't need...

The Angolan (Angolian?) Embassy is 3 buildings over! I hadn't expected embassies, but that was probably silly of me! Of course the city is going to be full of them! There's also a really nice park right across the street. You'll see in the pictures I take tomorrow :) Tomorrow, since Rory bought dinner tonight, I thought I'd cook for him to repay the favor. It's the least I can do, plus I want to learn to cook...I hope we don't end up like an old married couple...that'd be hard to explain to the girlfriend. Anyway, I'm excited to check out the markets and stores within' walking distance and I'll do that tomorrow.

Friday I'm going into work with Rory in the morning so I can learn where to go and all that good stuff. Should be eventful, he's going to show me around work too. The metro is quite nice, I'm already appreciating it and I only road it from the airport to our place...which by the way looks like an embassy itself. I'll show a picture of the Foyer/Lobby of our apartment building. It rocks.

Anyway, enough is enough for tonight. I'll write more tomorrow after a full day of enjoying the scenes.

JMB

2 Comments:

Blogger Dhavin said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Dhavin said...

Glad to hear you made it uneventfully dude, hook up the webcam and we'll install some gametable software and continue the champions campaign!

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home