Google

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Autumn's in the air!

Good morning! It's Fall! I can't believe how fast the time flies now that I'm an adult. It's almost embarrassing. It feels like summer was just a few days ago, but now it's practically Thanksgiving! In fact, Amanda and I have been married for more than six months already! I just can't believe it.

Speaking of Thanksgiving, I'm getting pretty excited for our trip back to Michigan to see the family. We're leaving this weekend and staying a full week. It's going to be a very relaxing trip, I hope. We'll spend half the days with Amanda's family and half with mine. We're spending Thanksgiving at my moms house. Amanda's family is joining us, so that'll be very nice.

Lots of things have been keeping us busy lately, I'm excited to finally sit down and share them.

Several months ago, I surprised Amanda with concert tickets to see Jimmy Buffett. She loves Jimmy Buffett. It was really fun. A friend from work had two extra tickets, so I bought them on a Friday and took Amanda to the show on Saturday! It was really really fun. It was very hot outside, but we enjoyed it. It was very memorable.

Another weekend recently we took a trip to the National Arboretum. It was pretty impressive to see such a vast nature area right inside Washington, DC. I started a new Bonsai hobby just prior to the trip, and the National Arboretum has a large Bonsai Exhibit. The Bonsai exhibit is why we initially were going to go, but everything turned out to be very beautiful. They have a fairly spectacular Herb Garden as well.

Speaking of Bonsai, because of my new hobby, Amanda and I took a two hour workshop class two weeks ago at a Bonsai nursery near here. It was called Wolf Trap Nursery, and it's a pretty nice little shop. They have lots of plants and tools and literature. They do more than Bonsai as well, but that's my main focus when we make the trip out there. We each started a bonsai plant at the class, so now Amanda and I have one we made. I also started "training" (that's what they call it) another plant to be Bonsai, but I simply purchased this plant and Home Depot and pruned and shaped the branches to be in the place I desired. That was pretty fun.

Three weekends ago, Amanda and I took a little mini-vacation to Colonial Williamsburg. That was really fun! We stayed at a really nice little Bed and Breakfast and enjoyed a long weekend away from the traffic and people that are crowded around our wonderful Capital. We spent our only full day walking around the Colonial portion of Williamsburg, going into all the shops and landmarks. I almost thought the year was 1790! :) The last day in the area was brief, but fun. We got packed up and checked out of the inn and then went to a Yankee Candle store. This was no regular Yankee Candle either, it was the Yankee Candle Flagship MegaStore! It was amazingly huge. The shop was broken up into about 20 different large rooms where they have tons of things for sale. Way more than candles! It looked almost like a World Market or Pottery Barn! They had some furniture, rugs, kitchen junk, and of course, candles! I think the lady said they have something like 250,000 candles in the store. There were scents I hadn't ever heard of and the aisles of candles took up what appeared to be a room the size of a football field! Well...I may be exaggerating a little, but trust me, it was large. They even had an all-year Christmas section where it actually snowed! In the building! It was pretty neat, seeing that it was 70 degrees outside. After the Yankee Candle shop we went to the Williamsburg Winery and took a tour and did a tasting. That was pretty fun. It's the largest winery in Virginia. The tour was brief but fun and the tasting was delicious. I love wine. After the winery we made our way back home and concluded our trip. It was very memorable as well! :)

That's all I have time to write for now, but I'll try to be better. It may be a little while before another post, as I'm busy with work and we leave in 3 days for Michigan- but I'll definitely write some after Thanksgiving! Take care, everyone!

JMB

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home