Google

Sunday, June 04, 2006

First weekend of my career

Wow, well, this weekend went by way too fast. Friday night we watched the pistons and went to bed early.

Saturday, my buddy Scott invited me to go to the DC United Soccer game, but I had to decline since Rory and I had other friends coming over. Neil, Rory's friend from high school came by around 1:00pm and we walked over to the National Zoo. It was awesome! The animals were lively and visable, which is something you don't see often at a zoo :) Sadly, the main exhibit was down for construction. They have a baby panda and a family of pandas, in case you had missed that in the news. It was great, we spent tons of time and did lots of walking.

After the zoo we went to the Adams Morgan area, right by where we live, and went to a bar/restaurant called Madams Organ. It's been voted one of the best bars in the USA on several different occasions. It was completely dead which was nice. We got some food and enjoyed sitting out on a balcony and got to watch one of the best streets in DC. Come to find out today was Neils birthday, so last night it was the night before Neils birthday. We came home after dinner though to wash up and relax for a while before Amy and her friend Brandy came to town. Brandy flew in from Michigan only an hour before for some internship for the government. Amy is another friend of Rory's and Neils from high school who also lives in this area. Once they arrived everyone went back out to Madams Organ while I stayed home to shower and relax a bit before meeting them out there.

After getting ready I decided I indeed wanted to go out and join them. I had my doubts at first because my stomach had been upset, which is why I didn't go with them right away. I was glad I went out, I bought Neil a beer and everyone had a great time. The bars here in DC stay open and can server alcohol until 3:00am instead of the 2:00am in Michigan. About 1:45am we had to run out the door to head over to a Cuban Bar, because Rory really wanted a Mohito (sp?) and apparently this Cuban Bar has the best in the city. I wasn't interested but was there for the ride since it was a birthday celebration. The bar was awesome though! We walked in and there were literally dozens of dancing Cubans and Latinos. Everyone was laughing and clapping and dancing, it was quite a sight. Soon after I came home since I was tired and went to bed. It was a great night and I think Neil enjoyed his birthday.

Today I got up and showered and walked up to Adam's Morgan to find a barber shop. I found one without too much trouble and walked right in. Boy DC sure is different. Not only am I only male in the place, I'm the only white person. The place was packed and it looked like a very stereotypical hair place that you'd see on tv. There were tons of hair dryers with old women sitting in them, and people all around. It was amazingly packed! Anyway, I walked up to the counter and asked if they cut mens hair, just to be sure, and to my amazement the lady said she could cut my hair right then...I think... She was a latino lady and didn't speak english that well. I was shocked though as there were a ton of people in the waiting room. I guess I was lucky to be a guy because I didn't even wait 30 seconds. The haircut was great too! I like it a lot, it's nothing different than I always do, shorter on the sides and cut on the top, but it went fast and turned out ok. Only cost $12 too, I was glad to see not everything in DC is more expensive.

After the haircut I walked back home to get Rory because we were going to walk over to Georgetown to go shopping. Georgetown...wow...it's the really rich area of DC and was quite amazing. Tons of HUGE town houses and mansions, it was cool. I also saw the embassies for Turkey, the Bahamas, and Luxemborg, which I dare say is the nicest embassy I've ever seen. We went a long way and shopped at a few different stores. Rory got a few things from J Crew and I bought two shirts at American Eagle and some pants and a bunch of socks from the Gap. I was happy, I have enough socks to last me a little while and my pants are real nice looking slacks. I'm happy with my purchase.

We walked tons and tons and by the time we got home neither of us wanted to move again. We made tacos for dinner and watched the movie Point Break. Funny movie, I enjoyed it. Dinner was excellent too, tacos have become our favorite thing to make. The movie just ended and it's about 10:15pm right now. Work bright and early in the morning and I'm not looking forward to that.

So many jumbled thoughts, this post isn't going very coherently to me.

Neil had two roommates up and move out two or three nights ago, so I may have a place to move too. Neil's pretty nice, he teaches middle school gym. Jon and I would both have a nice room and can use the social areas as well, and rent is only $550/month. I'd have to buy a car though, but I could afford it since if I live closer I'd pay close to $1200/month for rent. So, once jon gets to town we can move to Neils if we decide to do that, but I'll need him to give me a ride until I can purchase a vehicle. I think in about 4 weeks from now I'll have enough money to put down my down payment on a car along with all the other costs I'll have. The best thing about this situation is that Neils roommate, the guy that owns the house doesn't require any sort of time limit. Most places require a 1 year lease agreement, but this guy isn't picky about that...which hurt him when these two girls moved out. Plus the guy only stays there maybe two nights a week, so it'd only be Jon and Neil and I living there, essentially. I'm excited about this prospect, since I'll also get the freedom of a car along with a place to live, for roughly the same cost.

Amanda flies back to the states on wednesday, and I can't wait. I'm excited just to be able to talk to her on the phone, computer, email daily...whatever...I've been missing her so much, it's very painful. I haven't had any emails from her in a long time, so I feel quite alone, but I know she'll be back soon. I expect an email from her tomorrow because the students have a free day. If Amanda has free time on the friday night before the 4th of July I think I'll fly home after work and take that monday off since I get tuesday off. I can fly home and stay from Friday night to Tuesday night for roughly $118. That's cheap and I'm definitely excited about the chance to see amanda.

Anyway, enough babbling I guess, I'm getting tired and there's so many other things going on it's hard for me to concentrate. Rory's watching TV or a movie or something and I'm just having trouble focusing. I'll write more tomorrow if I have time, and I'm sure I will...so until then.

John

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home